Oct 9, 2009

Autumn Caterpillars

Caterpillars come in all shape and sizes, and they never cease to amaze us. Some are to be found during the autumn season.

This cracking little species is a "Pale Tussock", ('tussock' meaning: tufts or feathers) a stunning caterpillar that turns into a large well camouflaged, silvery moth with distinctive fluffy antennae. They can be found between July-October in woodland or gardens, feeding on oaks and fruit trees, and later, the moth can be seen around May-June time. Look out for them!
Papillion

1 comment:

  1. Hello Papillon,

    In July 2007 I had an interesting overnight house guest at my home in Little Bloxwich.

    What was later identified as a Common Pipistrelle bat must have snuck in while I was out taking the dog for his evening pee before bed, and made itself cozy hanging on a net curtain on the back door!

    Next morning, I spotted the bat while making breakfast, and after a bit of thought I took a few pictures of it before removing the curtain, bat and all, and pegging it on the line out in the garden.

    After a moment, the bat must have flown off into a nearby ivy bush, as it was there one minute and gone the next while I was looking at something else.

    It brings back other fond memories of bat-watching with my late father at our house that summer. This year, the bats were back in my loft and as they flew out (a half dozen of them) one night I was thinking of dad again, a poignant moment on a beautiful evening.

    Anyway, here's a pic or two of the bat, which I hope you and your readers will enjoy.

    Cheers,

    The Edditer.

    http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg252/TheTimeTraveller/Nature/Bat1.jpg


    http://s250.photobucket.com/albums/gg252/TheTimeTraveller/Nature/?action=view&current=Bat2.jpg

    ReplyDelete